Mukteshwar is a small tourist destination rich with picturesque sceneries and a magnificent view of the Great Himalayas situated 51 km from Nainital and a part of its district that is set at an average height of 2171 mts above sea level in the Kumaon Hills of Uttarakhand.
Mukteshwar derived its name from an ancient 350 years old Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva named Mukteshwar Dham which was constructed on the highest peak of this town within the campus area of the Indian Veterinary Research Institute [IVRI] that was developed by the British. Originally this Institute was established in Pune on 9th December 1889 and was then relocated to Mukteshwar in 1893 to segregate and quarantine highly contagious organisms found in animals. Post Independence it was then developed into the 'IVRI', whose headquarters are located in Izatnagar; however, this town still serves as the Hill Campus of this Institute that also facilitates an experimental goat farm. The campus also homes a small museum that has the microscope used by the famous Nobel Prize winner Robert Koch when he had visited this place.
Near the IVRI campus is an overhanging cliff named Chauli-Ki-Jali used extensively for adventure activities which can be arranged by your resort like rock climbing and rappelling with a wide view of the valley below depicting a topography designed for agriculture which mostly grows potatoes and Fruit orchards aligned on these Terraced fields. You can also enjoy the mesmerizing sun rising from the sunrise point situated near the PWD Government Guest House including bird watching.
Mukteshwar also offers a great view of the second highest peak in India named Nanda Devi Peak elevated at 7816 mts above sea level that is a part of the Himalayas in Garhwal District situated between the Rishi-Ganga Valley on the west and Gori-Ganga Valley on the east. The name mean 'The Goddess of Bliss' and it is considered very sacred and a patron Goddess Peak of Uttarakhand State.
Mukteshwar has also seen many recent developments like the 'Renewable Park' built by TERI or The Energy and Resources Institute that uses solar electricity for its electricity needs and has become a recent tourist attraction and a definite visit.